Foster Care Week 11th- 17th Sept
Today, more than ever, there is a pressing need for foster carers as the sector faces a significant shortage. Children and young people aged from 0 to 18 are in urgent need of safe and nurturing homes, and a family who will care and be there for them.
Anyone can make a great carer; single people, couples, families, people from the LGBTQI+ community and employed or unemployed, from a range of cultures and lifestyles. A great carer is stable and consistent, perseveres when times get tough, strongly supports children and young people to maintain their connection with their birth family, and remains focused on the best needs of the child or young person.
Marymead provides carers with all essential support needed, including initial and ongoing training, 24/7 on-call support, an experienced and dedicated caseworker, direct carer support, and a tax-free carer allowance.
There are numerous types of foster care available through Marymead, which vary in length. Different types of foster caring through Marymead include:
- Respite, which is typically over a weekend or during school holidays, provides an extended network to support children and young people and carers.
- Short-term/Emergency, which provides an extended network to support children and young people and carers.
- Long-term, which can be a few months or until the child reaches 18.
- Restoration Support, which prepares the child or young person to return back to their birth parents.
- Adoption and Guardianship, which is necessary when a child or young person is unable to return to their birth parents.
Marymead are also seeking carers who are able to open their hearts and homes to Indigenous children and young people with high needs and sibling groups.
Consider opening your home to a child or young person in need.
This Foster Care Week, we thank all of our current Foster Carers for the positive contribution they make to children, young people and our communities.
For more information, please call Marymead on 1800 427 920, or email CarerDevelopmentTeam@marymead.org.au